Thursday

Day 53: Of Repentance unto Life, part 1



Q. 87. What is repentance unto life?
A. Repentance unto life is a saving grace [g], whereby a sinner, out of a true sense of his sin [h], and apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ [i], doth, with grief and hatred of his sin, turn from it unto God [k], with full purpose of, and endeavour after, new obedience [l].

[g] Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

[h] Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter, and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Ver.38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

[i] Joel 2:12 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, Turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning.
Jeremiah 3:22 Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God.

[k] Jeremiah 31:18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God. Ver.19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.
Ezekiel 36:31 Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall loathe yourselves in your own sight, for your iniquities, and for your abominations.

[l] 2 Corinthians 7:11 For, behold, this self-same thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.
Isaiah 1:16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Ver.17 Learn to do well; seek judgment; relieve the oppressed; judge the fatherless; plead for the widow.



Larger Catechism
Q. 76. What is repentance unto life?
A. Repentance unto life is a saving grace [h], wrought in the heart of a sinner by the Spirit [i] and Word of God [k], whereby, out of the sight and sense, not only of the danger [l], but also of the filthiness and odiousness of his sins [m], and upon the apprehension of God’s mercy in Christ to such as are penitent [n], he so grieves for [o] and hates his sins [p], as that he turns
from them all to God [q], purposing and endeavouring constantly to walk with him in all the ways of new obedience [r].

[h] 2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

[i] Zechariah 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

[k] Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
Ver.20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the LORD Jesus. Ver.21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.

[l] Ezekiel 18:28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. Ver.30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Ver.32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
Luke 15:17-18 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! Ver.18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
Hosea 2:6-7 Therefore, behold, I will hedge up thy way with thorns, and make a wall, that she shall not find her paths. Ver.7 And she shall follow after her lovers, but she shall not overtake them; and she shall seek them, but shall not find them: then shall she say, I will go and return to my first husband; for then was it better with me than now.

[m] Ezekiel 36:31 Then shall ye remember your own evil ways, and your doings that were not good, and shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and for your abominations.
Isaiah 30:22 Ye shall defile also the covering of thy graven images of silver, and the ornament of thy molten images of gold: thou shalt cast them away as a menstruous cloth; thou shalt say unto it, Get thee hence.

[n] Joel 2:12-13 Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: Ver.13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

[o] Jeremiah 31:18-19 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God. Ver.19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

[p] 2 Corinthians 7:11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

[q] Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Ezekiel 14:6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.
1 Kings 8:47-48 Yet if they shall bethink themselves in the land whither they were carried captives, and repent, and make supplication unto thee in the land of them that carried them captives, saying, We have sinned, and have done perversely, we have committed wickedness; Ver.48 And so return unto thee with all their heart, and with all their soul,

[r] Psalm 119:6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments. Ver.59 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies. Ver.128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
Luke 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
2 Kings 23:25 And like unto him was there no king before him, that turned to the LORD with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his might, according to all the law of Moses; neither after him arose there any like him.



End of Lesson, Day 53



For Further Study:

Francis R. Beattie's The Presbyterian Standards
Faith and Repentance
James Fisher's Catechism on the Catechism
John Flavel's Exposition of the Assembly's Shorter Catechism
Matthew Henry's A Scripture Catechism in the Method of the Assembly's
Thomas Vincent's The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture
Thomas Watson's Body of Divinity
John Whitecross' The Shorter Catechism Illustrated

CHAPTER. XV. - Of Repentance unto Life -- Commentary by Gordon H. Clark

Chapter XV. Of Repentance unto Life -- Exposition by Robert Shaw

Chapter 15: Of Repentance Unto Life -- Commentary by A.A. Hodge


Coventry Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment