Monday

Day 50: Of Sanctification, part 2



Larger Catechism
Q. 77. Wherein do justification and sanctification differ?
A. Although sanctification be inseparably joined with justification [s], yet they differ, in that God in justification imputeth the righteousness of Christ [t]; in sanctification of his Spirit infuseth grace, and enableth to the exercise thereof [v]; in the former, sin is pardoned [w]; in the other, it is subdued [x]: the one doth equally free all believers from the revenging wrath of God, and that perfectly in this life, that they never fall into condemnation [y] the other is neither equal in all [z], nor in this life perfect in any [a], but growing up to perfection [b].

[s] 1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Corinthians 1:30
But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

[t] Romans 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Ver.8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

[v] Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

[w] Romans 3:24-25 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Ver.25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

[x] Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. Ver.14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

[y] Romans 8:33-34 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth. Ver.34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

[z] 1 John 2:12-14 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. Ver.13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. Ver.14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
Hebrews 5:12-14
For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. Ver.13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. Ver.14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

[a] 1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. Ver.10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

[b] 2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
Philippians 3:12-14
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Ver.13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, Ver.14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.



Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter 13
II.
This sanctification is throughout, in the whole man [g]; yet imperfect in this life, there abiding still some remnants of corruption in every part [h]; whence arises a continual and irreconcilable war, the flesh lusting against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh [i].

[g] 1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

[h] 1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Romans 7:18
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. Ver.23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Philippians 3:12
Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

[i] Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
1 Peter 2:11
Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.



III. In which war, although the remaining corruption, for a time, may much prevail [k]; yet, through the continual supply of strength from the sanctifying Spirit of Christ, the regenerate part does overcome [l]; and so, the saints grow in grace [m], perfecting holiness in the fear of God [n].

[k] Romans 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

[l] Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Ephesians 4:15
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: Ver.16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

[m] 2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
2 Corinthians 3:18
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

[n] 2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment